Thursday, April 1, 2010

More of This and That

The first week we were in Brazil we had to order furniture. The houses don't come with kitchen cabinets ...when you move you take them with you. There are no closets, most people buy wardrobes or dressers. Another thing that many brazilians do is have their table on their porch. Since our house is very small we decided that would be the best thing for us to do.

Below is a picture of the table we bought.
We often take for granted the things you already have at home when you go on your first shopping trip in a different country. Stocking the cupboards takes on a whole new meaning when you have no idea what is in that can or package. I can't always just go to the store and get what I need ...I can't read what it is! When we went shopping I bought a cake mix just for fun. I thought it might be good to have around for a quick dessert. I've thought a couple of times about making it, but I have no idea how to make it. I don't know what the directions say, they are all written in Portuguese.

Every day we are finding something small that we need or should have gotten at the store. There are no yard sales or goodwills here in Brazil. You generally have to buy everything new. We are finding as well that most things are more expensive here that they are in the States.
Since we had to get some cabinets for the kitchen made, we borrowed some metal shelves to use until we got our cabinets.
Since it is so hot and humid here the kids have to take baths every day. I didn't realize how spoiled I was when before I only gave the kids baths every other day. They are all getting used to it though. Judah especially loves to go to bed all clean!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of Judah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable baby :-)

    ReplyDelete