Saturday, June 5, 2010

Flowers and the Feira

Friday night we took a break from studying for language school and went out with the Duartes for a fun-filled evening!
First, we went to a flower show. Once a year they set up a tent in downtown Cuiaba and sell lots of flowers at a good price. We went on the last night that they were going to be open. We enjoyed looking around at all of the beautiful flowers and plants.
One of the things I have missed most in Brazil is seeing flowers everywhere. In the States we were so spoiled by seeing the trees and flowers blooming every spring, but here I've hardly seen any.
The girls enjoyed going out for the evening and seeing something other than our house!
There were lots of pretty flowers and bushes to choose from, but for now I chose some very small flowers to adorn my table until we are more settled in. I think at this point in my life if I spent money on a beautiful plant or flower it would probably die from lack of time to care for it.
Judah enjoyed to stroller ride for the evening.
This isn't a very good picture, but we thought it was pretty interesting--a black flower--can't remember what it is called. Do you know?
Bethany wanted to walk up on the platform with Jana.
Jeremy and I purchasing our flowers.
On to the feira! Each area of town has it's own feira (market) each week. Some of the vendors go from place to place and set up their tables to sell things to the public. One of the first tables we noticed was the grape table. We got some sweet, yummy grapes!
Here is Jeremy looking at all of the candied fruits.
A cotton candy man kept walking by us, and each time Allie would say "oh mommy, can we get some of that!" We didn't buy any!
Bethany rode on Jed's shoulders for some of the night.
There were lots of people that had trampolines to jump on (for a small fee), so after we walked through the entire feira we let the girls jump for a while. They enjoyed it so much. Allie kept asking to do it again.

This trampoline had balls to play with which made it even more amusing for the girls.
Allie was a little bit silly for a picture. She asked "Does my nose look big?"

We crowded 13 people around a very small table to eat a snack and drink some freshly squeezed orange juice. I thought the people at the table behind us were pretty funny. I don't know if anyone noticed this while we were getting the picture taken.
Going home.
My sweetie and I! We had lots of fun together!

2 comments:

  1. Looks fun! I'm so glad you all were able to get out and have a little fun.
    That black flower looks like a Calla Lilly, but we've never seen a black one before.
    Looks like Allie, Bethany, and Judah really enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina JenkinsJune 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM

    I think black Calla Lilly too! Judah is getting so big. So glad you do this blog to help us feel like we are "in touch" with you and your missionary life! :)

    ReplyDelete