Monday, November 8, 2010

Atacadão

I have been trying to think of some different things to put on the blog. I have different ideas, but none of them seem to be coming to fruition! To be honest, at this point in my life everything is pretty much mundane, everyday, mommy/missionary wife sort of things. Clean the house, play with the kids, study Portuguese, laundry, laundry, laundry! I'm loving every minute of it, but it kind of makes for the same ol' stuff on the blog.

Anyway, all that said, here is my meager attempt at something different-- our grocery shopping trip. We usually do a big shopping trip once a month at a grocery store called Atacadão. Although we have our once a month trip there is ALWAYS something that I forget. That's when the small grocery store around the corner comes in handy. Then there are the one liter glass cokes that my husband enjoys on occasion, and we get those along with bread at the bread store around the corner. Lastly, there is the meat store a few blocks away where we have befriended the owner and that is where we buy all meat except for chicken.

Now that you know everything we buy...come along with us to Atacadão!

Please excuse my poor pictures, I don't pretend to be a photographer, especially when it's getting dark outside.

At 6:30PM we loaded up the kids and took off to the grocery store...
Coming from the parking lot to the store entrance you can see that there are other smaller stores outside of the main store. The store below is an "outdoors" type store. There is also a bread store, post office, and pharmacy if I remember correctly.
Here we are coming into the store. It kind of reminds me of a Sam's Club in the USA. Nothing that really looks unusual...maybe except us Americans that just walked in!
The first aisle...coke!
They have Christmas candy displays out already.
My beautiful children in their "carriage".
Such a cutie!
She always makes me laugh!
Sweet Allie!
Ah! Diapers...our biggest expense! But I'm oh, so thankful for them! The top price is the "bulk" price, the bottom price is the individual price. Just about everything in the store is set up this way. By the way, the price below is in Reais, not dollars, so please don't think we pay that much for diapers.
Halfway through the store is a small snack place. This is where I leave my family for their treat, and I go as fast as I can to finish before they do!
Here are the girls waiting for their daddy.
And...I forgot to take anymore pictures after this, but it's not really that interesting! Just a large grocery store.

I do have a funny and rather embarrassing story to tell of this grocery trip, and I can't believe that I'm going to write this on my blog, but here goes...

When I was almost done shopping Jeremy and the kids met me on the other side of the grocery store. The girls informed me that they needed to use the bathroom. This always happens at the most inconvenient time, but I wasn't going to let it get to me. I was going to have fun with them on our trek across the huge store to the bathroom.

As we were going, I was holding a girl's hand on each side. We were laughing, the girls were half jumping, half running-just having fun. Somehow, they both jumped in front of me at the same time. Before I knew what was happening, we all got tangled up, and we ALL fell flat on the floor! In front of the WHOLE store!

I wanted to lay down and moan...ouch, I skinned my knee! But, being the smart mom that I am! :) I picked up Bethany as fast I could and started laughing. The LAST thing I wanted was for the girls to start crying and draw even MORE attention to these strange Americans that were laying on the floor in front of the WHOLE store!

I picked up Bethany, helped Allie up, did NOT look around, and went as fast as I could to the bathroom. How embarrassing! What was that I was saying at the beginning about life being 'mundane'! Not with children. {smile}

Eventually, we made it back and finished our shopping. Jeremy paid for our groceries as the kids and I sat on a bench and played Hide-and-Go-Seek. (Not really my idea, but it was getting late...what was that I said about strange Americans...the teenage girl sitting next to me on the bench thought we were pretty curious. The kids even hid behind her a couple of times!)
When we all go out to the store it is very difficult to get anywhere fast. It's really kind of fun as long as we're not in a hurry! We end up spending half of our time talking to everyone else in the store. Some of the phrases we heard multiple times on this particular night were...

"Your children all look like baby dolls!"
"Look at all of their BLUE eyes!"
"Look at how WHITE they all are!"
"Are they twins?"
"I've been looking for some little girls like that..." (this from an older man, being silly, no danger, don't worry)

I have several different things to put on here, but I just lack time. Stay tuned, hopefully in the next few days I'll add them!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing pictures.. God Bless You All!
    Deanna Clopper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog so much and I love reading about life in Brazil. I feel a little bit like you do with the grocery shopping - in NYC it just isn't the same as anywhere else! I feel a bit like a foreigner, though I am starting to figure things out and make it more like home. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    (Ben & ) Andrea Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and excellent story at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you shared the funny story, Esther! Love seeing pictures of my grand kids! :-) And also enjoyed the pictures of the store in Brazil. It helps to know a little more of what it is like there. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete