Saturday, January 29, 2011

Some Good Reads

When Jeremy and I first were married Jeremy worked nights at UPS. He would go in at mid afternoon and return home around 10:00 or 11:00 pm. Even though the job was very stressful for him as he was a supervisor, the hours were great!

The LORD gave us Allie a couple years after we were married, and since I had only one child, and my responsibilities were few, I had much time to devote to her. We would spend time cleaning and eating supper, but then we had the whole evening to spare. We would read books!

Allie and I would literally spend hours a day reading when she was only one year old. It was then that I realized how important reading good books were. If I was going to spend THAT long reading to my child each day, why in the world would I want to read Dr. Suess a million times? I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Dr. Suess or any of the other "nonsense" books out there, but if I'm going to spend all that time reading to my child, how much better would it be to read to her something about the God whom I love.

It was then that I went in search of good books. I was hoping to find something just for toddler aged children. I did find that there is much out there. But what I really want to talk about in this post is the treasure that I found.

It took a little bit of work to actually get them, but when I did I was very please with them. I love how the author uses things that children love to do everyday and incorporates God in them. She show them how to thank God for things, how doing kind things for others is pleasing to God and how God provides good things for us because He loves us. These books are written by author Ruth M. Hinds. There are a few different series...

First, The Tiny Questions Books, these are labeled as for 2 and 3 year olds.
These are for younger toddlers. The kids just love that the boys and girls in the books have names. It has always been fun to talk about what the children in the book are doing. All of the books have been well thought out and author has obviously observed children often and what they do and some questions they may ask.
Next, are the Tiny Doings Books. These are fast becoming the favorites. They love reading about how other little boys and girls are helping, obeying, sharing, and being kind and how it pleases Jesus. These books are labeled as for 2-5 year olds.
This is one of Bethany's favorite pages to read. We quote it often while I comb her "curly hair". And she often looks like this while I am combing it. :)
Lastly, there are the Tiny Thoughts Books that are about various topics. God gives us sunlight, water, night time, and Jesus.
Just another sample...
Oh, and I almost forgot...Judah's favorite...Puppy and I. He LOVES this book and always laughs as I read it to him.
Well, if you're still with me...I know this wasn't very mission field related, except that my family is my greatest mission field, and if we try to "win the world", but let our children grow up not knowing and loving our God, we have undermined the very Gospel we are trying to share.

Come and visit us sometime and you can join us on the couch with my girls and little boy reading about some of these books about our great God!

Just in case you are interested you can order them directly from the publisher:

Amy Poster
P.O. Box 442
Superior, WI 54880
218-391-3202
email: posteramy@aol.com


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the book suggestions! Elaine is 15 months, and she always has a book in her hand. We usually only make it through half of a story before she is ready to move on, but things are improving. I also LOVE the new blog look...its been a little while since I stopped in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post, Esther! It is very mission minded!

    ReplyDelete