Jeremy sent out another update this morning on the most recent happenings. Most importantly please pray that the medicine that the doctor is having me take helps to quickly heal the problem. Although we don't enjoy taking any medicines this one of the choices is the easiest on the body. The others could have even worse side effects.
I have been truly overwhelmed by the hundreds, possibly even thousands of people who have prayed for me over these past few days.
As one of our friends emailed us today--"Prayer is working, but we can't stop now!" Wouldn't it be wonderful if when we went back to the doctor on Thursday, the healing would be only explainable by God!
Dear Friends and Family,
We had a good visit with the doctor yesterday. He says the problem is pyoderma gangrenosum, and he has upped her prednisone dosage even more to try to suppress her immune system and keep it from over reacting. She had to go through the painful process of having her ulcers cleaned again, but on a positive note, they seem to have stopped growing and it looks as if the healing process might be starting. Esther has to continue staying away from any possible source of infection since her immune system has been taken so low with the drugs. These ulcers can take weeks and sometimes months to heal, and the doctor has a list of possible drugs to use if the prednisone doesn't pull it off. Our part of Brazil is quite dirty and laden with infections and diseases, and we ask you to pray that God would protect Esther from any secondary infection. I plan to take care of things around the house so that Esther can just relax and take time to heal and strengthen her weak body. We are asking God to not only heal the ulcers, but also to heal her ulcerative colitis and give her physical strength. We plan to return to the doctor again on Thursday morning and will give another update after that appointment. God is good and has given much strength and peace of mind through all of this. We are so blessed to have so many praying for us!
So here are some specific requests you can pray:
1. Pray for Esther to sleep well as prednisone tends to make one sleepless.
2. Pray that the ulcers will heal quickly with the prednisone as it is very dangerous to use long term at such high dosages.
3. Pray that she will not catch a secondary infection.
4. Pray that God will exercise his power over the medicine and all of the secondary problems that it can bring.
5. Pray for complete healing and physical strength as this past year and its physical struggles has left Esther quite weak.
6. Pray for wisdom in each decision that must be made over these next days and weeks.
We are grateful to each of you for your emails of encouragement and for your many prayers! Please continue on!
-Jeremy and Esther Lockhart