Thursday, July 7, 2011

Our Independence Day

I promise I'm trying to get back into blogging.  We had gotten ourselves out of our regular routine for quite a few months for several reason, but now I 'think' things are getting back to normal around here (whatever that is! )  So, please don't abandon me.  I really don't mean to let a month pass between posts...really!

Anyway, we had a great Independence Day, and I thought you'd like to see some pictures.  We usually go out to Peter and Zirlene Doolittle's house for a celebration with all of the missionaries in the Cuiabá area. This year we ate at the camp that they are in charge of, which is on the same property as their house.

Everyone pulled their resources and creativity, and decorated a beautiful table.

Uncle Peter (so-called by my children) manned the grill along with some help from Pastor Raehl.

Bethany sat in the kitchen with the ladies hoping for a slice or two of cheese to snack on before the meal.

All of the ladies stood around in the kitchen preparing the food.

The men sat around the fire trying to keep warm (it was freezing!)...and obviously they were enjoying some story that Jeremy was telling.

Time to eat!  Pastor and Mrs. Raehl waiting to pray and eat.

Most of the kids knew the Star Spangled Banner, so we gathered them all together to sing for us after we ate.

Omar and Tracy, Johnathan and Mahalia were there...

The kids all enjoyed some sparklers.

Allie kept hers as far away as possible.

Bethany was intrigued by hers.

Such fun!

After the sparklers were gone, we all enjoyed fireworks.

It was such fun to spend the evening with friends and just relax (although it's kind of hard to 'relax' when you're shivering ).  We are so thankful for our home country of America and grateful for those who sacrificed to give us the religious freedom that we have there so we can come here and share the gospel to Brazilians that have never heard.

Hopefully soon I'll have another update on our lives...stay tuned...I'm trying.  

4 comments:

  1. YAY! You're back!!! Looking forward to reading more in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what Grandma Lockhart is thinking. "Where is Allie's jacket?!" :) Must be a little weird to be freezing on the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking too when I posted those pictures! So if Grandma Lockhart says something to you about it you can tell her that I did not approve of Allie's "dress code" for the night either. When we arrived she had on two jackets. I would have dressed them warmer, but it WAS the fourth of July, and they just HAD to wear their "America" dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete