Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Study Time

I've seen a whole lot of this lately. 
Portuguese study.
October was "my month" to learn Portuguese.  Since I was so sick for the first year, we decided that it would be a good idea to go "all out" and for me to do double duty in school for a month to help me catch up a little.  Jeremy did lots of cooking and cleaning, and I did lots of studying!  

The month is coming to an end.  Do I feel like I know Portuguese any better?  Yes.  But at the same time the more I learn the more I find out that I don't know!

Reality really hits when I look at my Portuguese/English dictionary, and on the English side of each page, I know, use, and can define about 42 out of the 45 words listed, but when I flip to the Portuguese side, I only know a handful of the words out of the list of about 45!

Learning a new language definitely is more difficult than I thought it would be, but I'm so thankful that with God's help it's coming!  Finally!

I've learned that everything that I think to say in my head is always perfect, but the road from my head to my mouth is very long.  It never seems to come out the same as it was thought in my head.

I've also learned that there is more than one definition of "knowing" another language.  I can get around and communicate okay now.  So, in that sense, I already "know" Portuguese.  However, I'm not satisfied to speak with the grammar of a child, and if I want to be an effective help to my husband, I need to keep studying!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely know how you feel. Wish I could find more time for self study. I can communicate in Swahili, but I still have a long ways to go to be fluent in the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. People here think I know Spanish, but I don't know Spanish enough to have a meaningful conversation...although I could get myself around if I needed too.

    ReplyDelete